Thursday, October 16, 2008

Public Service Announcement

Well, I am certain now that the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse are not only mounted-up but are trotting around ready to make their final charge...

In a study conducted by a Dr. Matlock at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, it seems that doing CPR while mentally keeping rhythm with ...ahem, the 1977 hit by the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive" will keep you on track with the recommended 100 compressions per min.

While the irony of a song titled "Stayin' Alive" is not lost on me, any song with about 100 beats/min will do. I used to like sing Culture Club's "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" in my head while doing CPR (but that is an entire post unto itself I guess...)

Other examples are: Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" (quite fitting, though I suppose a tad pessimistic) and a personal favorite, Warren Zevon's classic, "Werewolves of London".

Pick a song and use it the next time you find yourself doing CPR. It will keep you on track; but whatever you do, do not, I repeat, DO NOT sing out loud!

For those of you who have forgotten the song:




Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, stayin alive, stayin alive


Where the red is your cue to compress.

I predict this song will be stuck in your head for a t least a few hours....You're Welcome ;-)

8 Comments:

Melissa Keen said...

You, my friend, are a dick. Not only did I know this and have used more than one of the listed songs for exactly that reason, now I have the damn BeeGees of all things stuck in my head. As always, you never cease to amaze me.

Vince said...

I aim to please ;-)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is a silly question but I have never performed CRP- well... uh... at least not on anyone that actually needed it. But if one requires a song to assist in keeping the beat while performing CPR, what happens when they get to the crescendo part where the word "alive" is held for several beats.

Additionally can one use the song: "Another One Bites The Dust?" Damn! still have the crescendo problem.

Brian

Vince said...

A wise man once said,
"There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a LOT of inquisitive idiots."


Just kidding man ;-)

OK, the 100 beats per minute thing is just that, the number of beats that play per minute. This isn't really affected by crescendo.

From the beginning of the song, if you are listening carefully it is roughly the drum beats- try tapping along with the song for a few seconds- this is the BPM (beats per minute) and will march all the way through the song at a constant rate. It is just the cadence, speed , rhythm that the song plays against in time. I showed the lyrics with emphasis just to give an example of where those beats happen to occur.

This is proving to be more difficult to explain in words than I originally thought when I decided to answer your question- but hopefully you get the point.

Melissa Keen said...

FYI for you Philly radio station challenged... they were talking about this exact topic on the I believe it was Preston and Steve this morning...

Anonymous said...

'DO NOT sing out loud!'

Ni*%er Please !!!! You take the fun out of everything !!!

I just got off the line w/ Medtronic customer support --- I suggested the the addition of integrated MP3 players in all professional grade external defibrillators --- the upgrade should be available in the 2009 models :-)

Anonymous said...

The day after I read this post we responded to a code in the CICU and when I went into the room I nocticed a nurse performing CPR on the patient and the first thing into my head was "Stayin Alive"....I had to leave to prevent laughing out loud as this lady was dying....There is a special place in hell for people like me.
VJ

Rogue Medic said...

So, La Cucaracha, is a little too fast?

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA