Monday, July 7, 2008

Vaginas, and Tigers, and Bears...OH MY!


Today's title, besides guaranteeing me some fun search-term traffic, of course is referring to today's auspicious beginning of my Obstetrics and Gynecology rotation. Yes, for the next 6 fun-filled and glorious weeks I will be all about the "lady-bidniss" section of our anatomy texts. This rotation is split among 2 weeks in the Women's Care Clinic, 2 weeks on the Labor and Delivery floor and 2 weeks of Gynecology surgeries. I am doing this rotation with 5 other students from St. George's Medical School and Locksmithing Academy (of course I am kidding- throwing stones in glass houses and all)

Today was orientation; and other than some rather petty squabbling about the on-call schedule, it went rather well.

One chief resident gave us some pretty sage advice when it came to the Labor and Delivery portion of our rotation:

"There are basically 3 ways to approach this rotation: First- you are the type that has known that OB/GYN was your life's calling from just about the embryonic stage. You know beyond any shadow of a doubt you will chose this for your residency. To you, I say get as many deliveries as you can. Make sure you show some hustle and try your best to shine, and make sure you get a good letter of recommendation.

Secondly, perhaps you are in the group that will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, and did I mention, EVER, chose OBGYN as a career. If it came down to not matching or OB/GYN at Harvard you would sit out the year. If this applies to you, my advice is: get as many deliveries as you can, I mean you will never get to do this again, and after all, it is pretty cool- at least you will be able to say 'deliver a baby, yeah, I can do that'.

Lastly, maybe you are undecided and have not ruled out OB/GYN and aren't sure if it is for you or not. My advice here is......(wait for it)....get as many deliveries as you can. This is the only way to know if you will like it.


There is a certain elegance to his argument; although one could counter that I need not smash certain parts of my own anatomy with, say a ball-peen hammer for instance, to know I will not enjoy it- but I digress.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Sage ??? Sounds like a 'PC' ivory tower professor type to me.

How about this:

Secondly, perhaps you are in the group that will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, and did I mention, EVER, chose OBGYN as a career. If it came down to not matching or OB/GYN at Harvard you would sit out the year. If this applies to you, my advice is: keep your head one inch below the buffalo grass, don't volunteer for anything, act really concerned, say 'oh my' a lot, and try to look unimportant -- they may be low on ammo.

Vince said...

LD... PC Ivory Tower????

How do you figure? He was just enthusiastic and putting a positive spin on getting as much out of the rotation as possible.He likes what he does and was rationalizing our being enthusiastic about participating. Nothing PC or Ivory Tower about it. Did you forget your cranky pills again today? ;-)

"...keep your head one inch below the buffalo grass, don't volunteer for anything, act really concerned, say 'oh my' a lot, and try to look unimportant -- they may be low on ammo."

Also good advice (I will use this approach in my Psychiatry rotation to be sure.)

However, in my experience, they NEVER RUN OUT OF AMMO!

Rogue Medic said...

So, you will be up to your ears in vaginas and you will be unhappy.

Probably a different perspective on keeping "your head one inch below the buffalo grass." And I'm sure that is not the PC term for it.

6 weeks of puns coming up. :-)

Vince said...

RM,

you know me I am not one who is given to the gratuitous use of puns. I would rather walk on my lips than resort to some cheap punnery. For now I will just clam-up! ;-)

Rogue Medic said...

Walking on your lips while clamming up. Hmmm.

Vince said...

;-)

Anonymous said...

'putting a positive spin ..... was rationalizing'

Yup ...... your standard college professor :)

I am just sick of the fake happy face that we have to put on everything in order to exist in the 'PC' world ..... the tolerant left forces the rest of us to embrace all of their aberrant behavior ... we have to cram all of their crap down our throats smartly AND with a smile ...... I long for some genuineness ... some real straight talk ...

ex: for those of you who hate this shit with a passion .... here's what you have to do to get by ... all those aspiring to be clamatologists --- you better avail yourselves of every clinical opportunity.

I'll double my dose ..... God knows I'll need it come November :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of ammo...
I have so much to say, but will only give one piece of advice...
next time a woman is in labor try skipping dessert, it will make you seem more sympathetic.
By the way, haven't you spent enough time in your life in that area to have some kind of degree by now??

As usual
The EX

Unknown said...

I used to be really excited to deliver a baby. After doing it two or three times, I'm pretty sure I never need to do it again. Good luck with it! Seems like the light at the end of the basic sciences tunnel is finally coming into view for me! It's such a cold dark tunnel though.

Scott said...

Alright...would appear I forgot to sign out of the IT committee gmail account. In any case...that was me ;)

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA