Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekend Update # 716....

This past weekend Kathy, Rileigh, Dylan, and I drove down to spend a few days at Chateau de Exwife . As usual we had a great time. We got to spend some time with the whole family before Susie, Bruce, and the girls head off for their annual vacation- this time it is Mexico for 10 days. Color me jealous.

Friday I spent the day at my mother's house taking care of a list of things she needed me to do: running some new pipes for a water spigot in her garage, repairing her kitchen faucet, replacing a dimmer switch in her dining room, replacing the toilet flange and re-mounting her toilet, and some other manual labor type things. Thankfully Bruce had the day off and offered to come along and help me get things done quicker. Everything got fixed and nary a trip to an ER- it was a good day.


Speaking of my mother... Let this be fair warning to all:

It now may be unsafe to drive (or walk, for that matter) about the streets of Philadelphia.

It seems those wacky, fun-loving pranksters over at the PA Department of Transportation thought it would be a good idea to issue her her first Driver's License! Congratulations, mom!


Because of an upcoming change to the test format, begining on August 10th, people who take Step 2 will experience a significant delay in score reporting. I wanted to avoid this and so I have re-scheduled my Step 2 exam for Thursday, July August 6th. Hopefully the 4 days of forsaken last-minute studying won't have an impact on my score. I can't wait for this to be over!

Lastly, file this under "David Hasselhoff, I ain't!"

While enjoying some barbecue yesterday in the back yard at Chateau de Exwife, Rileigh somehow managed to crawl underneath the ad hoc security gate at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the pool deck. She was up just about at the topmost step when we noticed her. My dad instincts took over and I lept up from the table stepping over a Sleeping Dylan in his carrier seat, and sprinted across the lawn to the steps. I'm not sure what exactly possessed me, but I hurdled over the gate at the bottom of the steps and nearly tackled poor Rileigh up on the deck. She was quite startled because she was only headed up the steps to retrieve a toy and here comes her dad barrling down on her like she stole something. After catching my breath for a second I recieved a strange message from my lower back.

It said, "You idiot! Apparently, you think you are some sort of athlete who can sprint off and go hurdling over things. You are so wrong. You will pay."

Almost immediately, I felt the wonderful searing hot pain of old age and deconditioning racing across the right side of my lower back. So today I am hobbling around half-crippled and hoping this goes away soon.

The safety gate has been repositioned and she can no longer get by it (for now). Sadly, I imagine my lower back will take a bit more effort to get back in shape.

Lessoned learned.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how we're 18 mentally but 38 physically? How did that happen? It seems like just yesterday that we were down the courts playing hockey or in the back lot drinking pony bottles of Miller - does it not??

Ray M.

Trixie the Pixie said...

I think you mean AUGUST 6th. I was confused for a moment. I also moved mine, from the 4th to the 9th. I'm not sure how I thought 5 days would make a difference, but... Hopefully it won't mess up the score reporting!! Happy studying... I'm SO ready for this to be over too!

Vince said...

Thanks Trixie, I edited the date!

Anonymous said...

Vasectomy MGN ...... STAT !!!!

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA