Monday, May 19, 2008

Back to School


Well, kind readers, I am but a week away from jumping feet first back into my journey toward doctor-dom. My clinical rotations begin next week in Brooklyn, NY. I have enjoyed this long break from school and, despite my complaints, I will miss playing Mr. Mom.

Looking for housing in the Brooklyn area has been an adventure to say the least. After pouring over way too many ads and seeing some places, I wound up securing a room at what basically is a dorm building. And, much to my chagrin, I will have a roommate-since they were out of single rooms. There are already a slew of jokes going on in my family about my having a younger college-age roommate! I can see it now, having to filed questions in the dorm like, "Whose dad are you?" and "Mister, will you buy us beer?" Great, just great! Pick on the old guy!

Kathy and Rileigh will remain in the Philadelphia area while she completes her contract at work. In the meanwhile I will be commuting back on the weekends. It will be an adjustment, but this whole thing has been a series of adjustments so, adapt we must.

My first rotation will be Family Practice at the much maligned Wyckoff Hospital. I drove by there last week on our apartment hunting trip and, suffice it to say, it is not in the upscale section of Brooklyn. Fortunately, I will be staying in the Brooklyn Heights area, which is pretty nice and is not entirely unlike center city Philadelphia. The bus ride to the hospital should only be about a 1/2 hour, so it won't be horrible. This first rotation is 6 weeks long and immediately following this, I will be doing my OB/GYN rotation at Brooklyn Hospital-which is reported to be much nicer. As a matter of fact, all of my rotations are scheduled back-to-back and by June of next year I will have all of my required "core" rotations complete. Then it will be on to elective rotations, but much pain awaits me between then and now; so we will take it one step at a time.

Stay tuned.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooklyn ....... mmmmmmmm ...... I'd recommend a 10
:)

Anonymous said...

Let's see, Vince...in a dormroom...with a MUCH younger roommate. Nah, I can't think of any jokes at all!

Ray M.

Vince said...

Your words......they..........they ..hurt me :(

Anonymous said...

When you're on your way to the liquor store to purchase some beer for your MUCH youger roommate just remember that you have a son probably older than him. Would you want some OLD guy to have provided him with alcohol??

The EX

Vince said...

As if I would ever be caught dead in a liquor store.....
;-)

Anonymous said...

I'll probably see you at Wyckoff Tuesday morning, I'm doing OB at St Johns in Queens, but my orientation is Tuesday morning in the heart of lovely Bed Stuy. I imagine it will start alongside all the other Wyckoff/Caritas rotations starting on 5/27.

Scott said...

Congrats on starting clinicals, although I'm surprised you agreed to go to Wyckoff!! I can't wait until this time next year, when I'm back in the US about to start clinicals. Good luck with the children...both yours and your future roommates ;)

Vince said...

Scott,

Hey thanks. Wyckoff was a decision based on scheduling only.. it's only 6 weeks how bad could it be? hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Ralph SMU just called me about a rotation avaleble 2 days ago,....I jumped on it. I still have not found housing. Please help!!! NY is not a few hours away, I'm in Phoenix, AZ

Email me @ajshomefashions@yahoo.com

or call me at (602)266-9466

Anonymous said...

Its Ralph again, I was such in a hurry that I didn't spell check. Sorry guys

Rogue Medic said...

Ralph knows the value of having a 21+ year old room mate.

I like that you have one big TV. You need a roomy who appreciates the finer points of Springer and Dr. Phil. Maybe you will even get EWTN.

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA