Monday, January 5, 2009

2009's First Post...And It's a Booze Review!

Apologies to readers of this blog (both of you) for my lack of inane ramblings of late, the holidays- they are a busy time. I considered writing one of those hackneyed year-end posts where I reflect on the events of the past year and offer some maudlin observations and all of that, but I just couldn't bring myself to it. Suffice it to say to say to say that 2008 was an interesting year and I am very much looking forward to this year.

The astute among you will have noticed that it has been a long time since I have done a booze review. To that end, I offer you this:

Bulleit Bourbon




You can read the Wikipeadia entry on Bulleit Bourbon here.

At $37.99* for the 1L bottle pictured above this is not exactly a cheap drink, but at least in this case you seem to get what you pay for. Up until medical school I had always been a scotch drinker- almost to the exclusion of other libations. One of my pathology professors and I got to drinking talking one night and he recommended a couple of bourbons that he insisted I try. If anyone is interested they were Labrot and Grahm's Woodford Reserve and Basil Haden's. Being the quintessential lush alcoholic epicure, I was compelled to take his advice; and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Yes Virginia, there are also good bourbons. So, for the last couple years I have expanded my potable horizons to include both scotches and bourbons. I have tried many "good" bourbons and this one ranks right near the top.

I have a bit of a peculiar bottle fetish- no, not THAT kind of fetish!- I appreciate bottle designs. I am a big fan of Blanton's bottle for example, with it's pewter horse adorned cork and its multifaceted shoulders. Bulleit's bottle is both more simple and elegant at the same time. On the website it describes it as an old fashioned medicine flask design. I don't know from medicine flasks, I know it just looks cool.

But the real artwork is evident once the cork is removed. It is much smoother than most bourbons I have tried. It lacks that certain "Je nais se plawch!"- from the French, meaning "tasting like paint thinner". It does not assault the palate like a horny 16 year old boy with a willing prom date, rather, it takes its time and slowly seduces your taste buds into submission. It starts off with a strong honey flavor; and as it dances around your tongue making promises of eternal respect and of a call in the morning, the hint of vanilla comes creeping in teasing you and warming the mouth just so. It finishes rather dry (owing to its high Rye content) and not unlike scotch it has an oaky( but thankfully mild) after-taste that still retains some of its corny-sweetness. Quite delicious!

I give Bulleit Bourbon an unprecedented 9.0 out of 10 Livers!


* Purchased in New York at a mom-and-pop liquor store, so your mileage may vary.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

"like a horny 16 year old boy with a willing prom date"

interesting...my prom is only about a year away. you have to stop making references like the one above to prom. ha. i might get the wrong impression.

and funny. i scrolled up and down several times, but couldn't find any pictures from christmas that I know a loveing father of four, that's right four, would post. something must be wrong with my computer.

Anonymous said...

*loving

Vince said...

I will refer you to my earlier warning about proms and horror movies: Chaste boys and girls are neither hacked apart by crazed chainsaw-weilding madmen nor are they attacked by psycopaths who aren't their father...enough said!

I am working on sorting through pictures and I will post christmas pics soon (I am looking for the moose-hat picture! I bet you are sorry now!

Anonymous said...

hahaha. touche.

and...im sure i've got pitures of you in one tight, pink sleeveless shirt with a fro coming out of your head ;)

Vince said...

Only, I was in style then! The same can not be said of faux antlers...I don't recall those appearing on the covers of Vanity Fair or Cosmopolitan ...ever!

For the record, it was not an afro- it was a luxurious head of gorgeous wavy hair- traitorous cowardly hair that receded at the first sign of trouble, but hair nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

hahaha.i make those antlers look good. and i'm sorry to burst your bubble. but the outfit to which you are referring may have been seen on vanity fair...on a woman! pink was never in for men. and at least i have the defense of "i didnt buy it for myself"

Melissa Keen said...

Ahh antlers... I have a set of those. They have little jingle bells on them. You just wish you could be as cool as girls are...

Bourbon? You Scotch traitor. I'm so telling on you.

Rogue Medic said...

He was even witnessed drinking ale!

And he wrote about it!

Oh, But I Am Worthy !

Worthy of being called fickle!

Look, I have exclamation marks on my keyboard, too. :-)

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA