Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thug Life

I survived another 25 hour shift on-call Saturday and slept the sleep of the dead today. I am having some weird experiences lately with having a tough time separating things that actually happened and dreams I have when I am extremely tired. Is this the begining sings of psychosis? I hope not. Most likely I have been just really tired and having very realistic dreams lately.

Although it was fairly busy last night, there was not too much in the way of terribly interesting cases. I scrubbed in on an appendectomy and a cholecystectomy during the day yesterday and the OR was fairly quiet besides those cases.

Last night we had several traumas including 2 gun shot victims. Somewhere around 3am this morning a young woman in her 20's was brought in with a gunshot wound to the side of her neck with an exit wound to the opposite shoulder. Since she was fairly stable for the moment we took her to get CT scans to further evaluate her injuries. She later went to the OR for exploration of her wounds and did quite well and is recovering today.

While we were waiting for the scans to complete I asked one of the other students with me, Dave, if he had noticed the tattoo our patient had in her arm. He had not. I explained to him it was a picture of Winnie the Pooh sitting holding an overflowing honey pot with bees circling around. The caption above and below the picture read:
"Get Rich or Die Trying".

To which he said, "So far its Get Rich: 0, Die Trying: 1" (giggle-snort)

To no one's surprise, we get along pretty well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

'I am having some weird experiences lately with having a tough time separating things that actually happened and dreams I have when I am extremely tired.'

You are under the false impression that they are in fact 'separate' phenomena. Reductionism is not adequate to the task of explaining consciousness, or any other complex system for that matter.

:-)

Vince said...

Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream?

Anonymous said...

haha. Pooh is the definition of thuggg. haha.

Vince said...

"Pooh-in ain't easy!"

Trixie the Pixie said...

AHAHAHAHA. Sooooo tasteless, yet... I still smiled. Okay, actually, I laughed out loud at the computer. Damnit!

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA