Sunday, February 8, 2009

On-Call Part 2: Saturday Hell

The fine folks of the Pajama Posse who make the student on-call schedule saw fit to initiate me to Saturday 24 hour call the very first week. Yay! Much like my first night on call, yesterday was rather busy. It began at 7am (sleeping-in for these guys!) and we rounded for what seemed like a month in solitary-but in reality was about 2 hours. From there I went back and visited/examined all of the 9 patients I was responsible for and writing their progress notes. Strangely enough this is something I really enjoy. I like talking to the patients, doing a quick physical exam. I then write in their chart my findings, any changes in their conditions, vital signs, lab results, etc. and what the plan is for the patient. Since I have following most of these same patinets this week, we have gotten to know each other and are getting along swimmingly- even when it is Saturday and I am grumpy on the inside. I don't know if it is because I am at a different hospital or just the big differnece between Surgery and Internal Medicine, but I have to admit I really enjoy this rotation far more than any of my others thus far.

After writing the equivalent of a short Tolstoy novel, it was time to head to the operating room to scrub in on the only surgery I would have for the day. A rather minor procedure, the umbilical hernia repair didn't take very long and was over in about 30 minutes or so. I was allowed to put in some stitches, even some of the pretty subcuticlar stitches, which are a bit tricky to do but when done right looks neat and leaves no suture marks. (see picture)

After the OR, my only real responsibility aside from checking in on my patients throughout the day, was to respond to the Emergency Department for Traumas and help out the residents with issues that come up. I thought this would leave me some time to relax and study. Once again proving my ability to be WRONG knows no bounds! I ran around and took care of the seeming endless minor tasks like IV insertions, drawing bloods, putting orders in charts and all the really glamorous stuff medical students do. That's when the Trauma gods took a big dump all over any hopes I had at getting some sleep.

Saturday nights and trauma go together kind of like football players and firearms. There are way too many of them, are usually very stupid, and can have disastrous results.

Last night did not disappoint, there were 7 trauma alerts called. Gunshot to the chest, several patients from a bad car wreck, and the ever popular: alcohol-induced hyper-gravitational state coupled with a flight of 30 stairs. By the time we finished with the last trauma I had exactly 30 minutes to sit down and try to close my eyes before it was time to make the rounds on all of my patients quickly, update their vital signs and labs, and be ready to round with the on-coming Sunday team. This took me to about 8:30am; a mere 25 1/2 hours after I walked in. I passed out at home around 9:30 this morning and slept the sleep of the dead until about 5pm. Now I have to try to get back to bed early tonight since I am due back at 6am. Next on-call night...Thursday! Oh boy! I can't wait.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, honestly...quick complaining. What the hell did you expect when you singed up for medical school? A lovely walk in the park with time to spare to do your hair? If medical schoold was easy, every joe shmoe would want to be a doctor. There is a small percent of people who can actually hnadle this. So buck up nd get used to this. Its only the beginning. Love you! and keep up the good work, Daddy. =]

Scott said...

Is it typical to have so little OR time in the surgery rotation? Do they actually let you do anything for all of the trauma alerts that they wake you up for?

Vince said...

Meagan, I think the phrase you are looking for is "quit complaining", but thanks for the pep talk ;-)

Scott,

It was Saturday, not too many cases were scheduled and I was on-call with several other students, so we split up the cases. During the week there are plenty to go around!

Yes, during the traumas students get to a bunch: IV's, NGTs Foleys, the occasional stapling, lest we forget the Trauma Handshake! You can get involved.

Scott said...

ooooh....trauma handshake! that's definitely a procedure that they should teach techs and nurses!

Anonymous said...

haha. yea it is what i meant. haha. i was tired :/

Anonymous said...

Didn't you get enough sleep on the month and a half vacation you JUST had at the beautiful bed and breakfast in South Jersey. Not to menetion the 2 year vacation in St Maarten. I realize it's harder on you than most because sensible people do this in thier younger years and not wait until they are senior citizens.

I'm just saying.

The Ex

Anonymous said...

Pretty rough crowd here. I'll empathize with you...I was on call for OB Saturday as well and got about as much sleep as you. However I would rather be putting in IVs, staples or NGTs than being stared at by the eye of Saruman all night.
VJ

Vince said...

The Eye of Sauron! nice Vaughn! I almost spit my coffee at the screen this morning! I am not that much of a geek.. I had to look it up btw.

Hey man, some guys spend big bucks to go wink for wink with old Sauron himself!

How are things? shoot me an email!

Vince said...

And...to my lovely ex: If I am a senior citezen then....

;-)

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah

The Ex

Anonymous said...

I was going to bust on the age thing like Sue, then I realized that I'm older than you, so I guess I won't...but she is right!!

By the way, after reading this post, I had an idea for a tv show - I was thinking of calling it ER or, possibly Grey's Anatomy - what do you think?

Ray M.

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA