Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Rising Cost of Health Care

A classmate of mine had an unfortunate accident while affirming to himself that his talents lie in medicine and NOT in locksmithing.(don't ask) The mishap resulted in a laceration to his finger that required a few stitches. The interesting part of this story is how much the Emergency Room visit and treatment cost. He paid $50.00* and is now medical bill-free!

How on earth can these poor people down here make a living, practically giving health care away? Don't their 4x4's(gauze pads) cost $19.00 each just like ours?

Seriously, it does give one pause and makes you think that if you walked into any ER in America and told them, "I have a laceration that needs suturing and only $50.00. What can I get?"

The most common answer I suspect would be : "Directions to another hospital!"

My friend Art and I have a running joke about Universal Health Care and the (I can barely type it) Socialization of medicine in America. He takes the side that it should become a reality, and I tell him to "let's just wait until I get my first paycheck as a full fledged Physician ." (look at me alliterate!)

While I haven't yet adopted the conservative republican view, given my pending tax bracket, I do believe that wholesale socialized medicine isn't the answer. I am more in favor of reforming the system as it is. I posted some thoughts on the subject on a forum. You can read them here.

For those of you that are too lazy to click here, I'll summarize, I would like to see:

  1. medical malpractice tort reform
  2. Fixing the Health Care Spending Account
  3. Overhaul and reduction of bureaucracy in the Medicare / Medicaid programs
I was much more eloquent in my post, you could find it here if you were looking that is hehehe.

*Disclaimer:
In the intrest of full disclosure, he did recieve the sutures without benefit of local anesthetic. But unless the cost of Lidocaine has gone up a million fold then my point is still valid. Besides my guess is the doc on duty was a Rambo fan.

6 Comments:

Unknown said...

Art here. Just for the record, I do not think socialized medicine is the end all, be all. Mostly, I bring it up to bust Vince's balls. Health care is a mess in this country and the insurance companies need to be throttled. I would like to see some kind of caps on standard procedure costs. It is crazy that an uninsured person is billed five times the cost of the insured because he or she could not afford the luxury of a big company negotiating a better price for them.

Anonymous said...

He may have been charged $50 for the visit, but it cost him and others alot more in the form of taxes. The MRIs, etc in the UK are cheap too....you just have to wait a year to get one if you want the government to pay for it. The golfball size lesion in my head may not wish to wait that long.

You're right on the money with your solutions.

John

Vince said...

Hey John were medical students now we can go ahead and call 'that golf ball sized lesion' a brain. HEHEHE j/k

Kelly said...

yep, Healthcare is a mess in the US. Tort reform is a good idea. I mean, do people need ungodly amounts for pain and suffering?

Kelly said...

ps

I saw your blog from PK and I saw his blog on someone else's down there. Good luck to all of you!!!

Anonymous said...

blood-letting is relatively cheap, and as we all know, it cures 95% of ailments and bad humours. So I think more bleeding is the answer to most helath care questions

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA