Sunday, September 9, 2007

A Furtive Fan - Well, not anymore I guess

I have never considered myself an opera fan.
Admittedly my exposure to opera has been limited to Bugs Bunny performing the (Rabbit)Barber of Seville as well as my all time favorite piece "Kill the Wabbit" (Ride of the Valkyries). But since last Thursday's death of Luciano Pavarotti there have been no shortage of video clips of the great maestro around the net. I have watched several of these brief clips and must say that I rather enjoyed almost all of them.

It wasn't until this afternoon however that I can admit that I have watched an opera for longer than a few minutes. Channel 13 (New York's PBS station) was rebroadcasting some of the great performances from the Met in honor of Pavarotti's death and aired a 1981 performance of L'Elisir D'Amore (The Elixir of Love). I tuned in just at the end of the first act; thankfully the station broadcast the English subtitles at the bottom of the screen. I did a search online and quickly read the synopsis of the opera during the intermission so I could follow along. I watch until the end. It was that good.
The story is a little simplistic, granted, but I was truly mesmerized when Pavarotti sang his (apparently very famous) rendition of Una furtiva lagrima (a furtive tear) in the second act.

I was able to find a clip of this on YouTube (sans subtitles) so I will post the lyrics with translation below. If you can watch this and not be the slightest bit affected, you are not human!

Lyrics:
Una furtiva lagrima negli occhi suoi spuntò...quelle festose giovani invidiar sembrò...Che più cercando io vo?M'ama, lo vedo. Un solo istante i palpiti del suo bel cor sentir!.. Co' suoi sospir confondere per poco i miei sospir!... Cielo, si può morir; di più non chiedo.
Translation:
A sullen and secretive tear that started there in her eye... Those socializing bright young things seemed to provoke its envy... What more searching need I do? She loves me, that I see. For just one moment the beating of her hot pulse could be felt!.. With her sighing confounding momentarily my sighs!... Oh God, I shall expire; I can't ask for more.

Even through the clunky translation you have to appreciate the poetry.
Disclaimer: I'll be having a testosterone level drawn directly (just in case).

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you can watch this and not be the slightest bit affected, you are not human!"

I felt the same way when Ted Nugent sang, "My Love is Like a Tire Iron."

John

Vince said...

My favorite Nuge song is "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang"

Anonymous said...

I met Ted down in Waco a few years back. He was a very nice guy. Big supporter of the troops.

John

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA