Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Studying has Picked up

I have been quite busy over the last few days and haven't had a chance to post. I received the results of my first comprehensive examination taken a couple weeks ago. This exam is given by the National Board of Medical Examiners, the same body who issues the USMLE. I did better than I expected- considering I hadn't really gotten into a serious review of everything. There is a conversion chart that predicts your score on the USMLE based on this test and according to that I would pass the USMLE but not with an incredibly high score. That being said I have kicked up my studying into high gear and have been immersed in biochemistry, the subject I am the weakest in.

In my clinical medicine class we have been focusing on the genital and rectal examination of both male and females. This Friday and Saturday we have professional patients coming to school. Now I appreciate the learning opportunity and all, but I can't wonder about the serious errors in career choices one has to make to wind up a professional patient- especially for the genital/rectal exams. I would hunt down and have a serious "come-to-Jesus" conversation with my high school guidance counselor. "I'm pretty sure I said I wanted a career that DIDN'T involve 37 fingers going up my butt!"

4 Comments:

Scott said...

they're not seriously gonna have you do the trauma handshake on a real person without any possible injury which would cause copious amounts of blood to be coming from their ass, are they?

Vince said...

Yes Scott, the Trauma Handshake, the Glasgow Greeting, and the Unconscious Introduction, are all synonymous with the not-so-subtle digilat-rectal exam which we will perform en masse on our brave professional patient.

"Stange things are afoot at the Circle-K"

Anonymous said...

That hurts.....no...no it doesn't......

Anonymous said...

All I can think of is Fletch singing "Moon River" while getting his prostate exam.

Hey, remind me not to shake your hand for the next few days.

John

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA