Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Randomosity

Today is the end of my 3rd week of my Pediatrics rotation- halfway done! So far it is very laid-back and pretty enjoyable. My first 2 weeks I have been on the pediatric in-patient unit doing pretty much the same thing that is done on the adult medicine floors. Seeing patients, writing notes, following up labs etc. This week I was in the Neonatal intensive care nursery as well as the regular newborn nursery. We practice doing a complete examination on the babies which is markedly different from how we examine adults. Some of the babies are so small, that with my adult-sized stethoscope I can almost simultaneously auscultate heart sounds, lung sounds, bowel sounds, and listen for renal and carotid bruits all from the same position. Most of the babies are pretty cute and even the ones that are pretty sick are still kind of enjoyable. There was one baby in the NICU who was wearing the staff out- He was born to a mother who was on horse dosages of Methadone during her pregnancy and so the baby was born addicted to opiates and was pretty much inconsolably crying aorund the clock while his medication dosages were being adjusted. Kind of sad.

I got to witness a circumcision. This was the first one I had ever seen. Um......OUCH! This practice seems just a tad on the brutal side. I know the babies don't "remember" the pain, but I imagine it isn'tmuch of a consolation at the time to the little fellas.

Tonight we are headed to the Relay for Life event at Meagan and Kaitlyn's high school and hopefully the weather will hold off or else I will be sleepy, grumpy, and wet come tomorrow morning. Thank you to everyone who has donated. You guys rock!

One last thing I have been driving by this barber shop every day for a while now and finally took the time to pull over and snap a quick picture. The sign cracks me up!



"We Specialize In All Cuts"

"What kind of haircut do you want sir, because whatever style you want- it happens to be our speacialty"

To steal from a great movie, "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they 'mean' that they specialize in all their cuts [both of them] :-)

Ahhh things are not always as they appear :-)

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA