Monday, May 26, 2008

New York- The Arrival

With not a small sense of dread, I moved into my temporary home yesterday. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. The accommodations are rather spartan, but the neighborhood is great and fairly convenient to the Hospitals where I will be doing my rotations.

Kathy, Rileigh and I drove up yesterday morning and I got an impending sense of doom as a series of events unfolded. We hit no traffic at all on the way up and made great time. Rileigh enjoyed her morning nap during just about the entire ride and woke up pleasant. We were able to find a parking garage immediately across the street from new room. I managed to pack everything I needed to bring without forgetting anything, breaking anything, or going on one of my little patented, curse-filled tirades that often occur when the baby gorilla tries to use his primitive spatial skills and tries to cram 10lbs of shit into a 5lb jar. Upon check-in at the dorm they actually had my reservation and the entire transaction went smoothly. It was turning out to be a great day. Those of you familiar with my life of course realize that all these factors portend some Bad Juju about to rain down. This was not lost on me. As we rode up in the elevator, I started to imagine that my roommate was going to be a pot-smoking, vegan, Christian fundamentalist, with a penchant for playing Milli Vanilli records and an uncontrollable flatulence problem. (it could happen!)

As it turns out, no one had moved into my room yet; so I got to unpack and set up without tripping over a roommate. Much later in the afternoon I met my roommate. He turned out to be a pretty nice guy- for the 6 minutes that he was actually my roommate. Apparently he, and more importantly, his father were less than impressed with the furnishings here in Shangri La, and decided to demand their money back and leave. So yours truly got to spend his first night in Dorm Heaven- alone. It remains to be seen, but I imagine they will be moving someone in here before long.

Here are some pictures:

This is the outside of the building (it used to be the Hotel St. George until it was converted into dorm rooms)




Some pictures of the room:





The neighborhood, lots of tree lined streets with really cool brownstones:





The Promenade is only a couple block's walk:







Rileigh enjoying her Brooklyn stroll(but not her hat):

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You are TOTALLY loving college life......you are secretly loving this....have you done your first keg stand yet? (and by first, I mean there of course) And I am sure it was the "furniture" that your roommate and his dad didn't like and not the 45 yr old man sitting in his underwear reading jugs.....yeah, that's the reason they changed rooms....

Vince said...

Damned hidden cameras!

For your information, it wasn't Jugs, it was the latest German Midgets Monthly, and I DID have socks on too. so there! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Take 2:


It must be very difficult to be so far away from hearth and home ..... but ..... absence does make the heart grow fonder ...... just think of the renewed affection you will have for one another when you are reunited :)

** Wise cracks from those (Susie) who speak with a forked tongue are not appreciated ;) Just kidding sweet cheeks ...... don't go postal on me :)

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA