Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pretentous Carnivores

I am no vegetarian, nor am I am animal rights activist. I enjoy a fine meal as much as the next guy. I have, on occasion, spent a small fortune on a very nice meal with an equally nice bottle of wine. For that matter I'm sure I have spent the equivalent to Moldavia's GDP on Scotch throughout my life. I have an appreciation for the 'finer' things. I get it, believe me.

But I read this story today and all I can do is shake my head.

You can go to the Wall Street Burger Shop in Manhattan and order yourself this:




It is a burger. More specifically a burger made with a Kobe beef patty, lots of black truffles, seared foie gras, aged Gruyere cheese, wild mushrooms and flecks of gold leaf on a brioche bun. Sounds good, right?

Well, one of these babies will set you back $175.00. Yes Virginia, that is One hundred and seventy five U.S. Dollars.

Sweet mother of tap-dancing decadence!

For a $175 I would expect a little more in the way of ambiance than to sit in a burger shop that has ketchup on the table! But I'm a snob I guess.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez Vin - it is Heinz ketchup! How much more friggin' ambiance do you need?

Ray M.

Vince said...

" Is that REAL tomato ketchup Eddie?"

"Nothing but the best Clark"

Anonymous said...

Are you sure thats Manhattan? That sure looks like a table at the Sugar Cane.....price looks right too.

VJ

Vince said...

Could be, but god knows what they were using as truffles. Yikes!

Scott said...

Have you ever had a Kobe burger? I wouldn't pay $175 for it, but the one I had was easily the best burger I've had. The burger (with truffle oil, but no truffles) and fries was about $25.

Oh...and speaking of meat, have you ever been to Fogo de chao? If not, go. It has some of the best meat i've ever eaten, and is all you can eat!

EE said...

Kobe beef is fucking disgusting.

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for USA